Thursday, August 9, 2012

Individual Berry Crisps




I love pies, crisps, crumbles, and cobblers.  In fact, I love them a little too much because they don't last very long around here.  We won't even discuss the brief lifespan of the last cherry pie I bought. 

Fortunately, I have found a way to continue enjoying crisps without overindulging.  I make the crisp mix, put it in a container in the fridge, and then I use what I need to make my husband and I each one 1/2 cup serving of dessert.  Not only does it keep us both from going back for seconds, but it also means that our dessert is always freshly baked.  Truly a win-win situation.

Another bonus with this recipe is that there isn't any sugar in with the fruit so the only sugar present comes from the crumb mix.  I know many people do sweeten their fruit, but I personally don't find it necessary and I would even go so far as to say that I prefer mine unsweetened.

Individual Berry Crisps
Yield: 6-4 oz crisps

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp butter, diced
2 3/4 cups fruit (e.g. mixed berries, cubed peaches, cubed nectarines, etc.)
  1. Mix together flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. Rub butter into the flour mixture until the texture is that of coarse meal.
  3. You can either store this in the fridge to be used as needed or you can use it all immediately.
  4. When you are ready to bake crisps, preheat oven to 375.
  5. Butter 4 oz ramekins and fill with fruit, leaving a little bit of space for the topping.
  6. Spoon about 1/6th of the crumb mixture into each ramekin and pack it in lightly.
  7. Place in oven on top of a cookie sheet so that any fruit leaking over doesn't fall onto the bottom of your oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes. 
  8. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 187 per serving (using blueberries)

No comments:

Post a Comment