Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apple Oatmeal Muffins



Oatmeal raisin muffins have always been a favorite of mine--especially in the fall.  There is something welcoming about their hearty texture and homey taste.  Honestly, I would be perfectly happy having these for breakfast every day between September and February with a big mug of steaming coffee.

So, perhaps it isn't surprising that once we had our first few mornings with a cool fall breeze, I felt the urge to bake up a batch of oatmeal muffins.  After all, there is nothing that says fall more than cinnamon and oats, right?  Well, maybe there is.  Maybe cinnamon, oats, and apples.  That's right, I finally admitted that summer is coming to an end and bought some apples.  And, since I had them on hand, I decided it might be fun to substitute my usual 1/2 cup of raisins with 1 1/2 cups of diced apples.  I was rewarded with wonderfully tender muffins that taste a little like an apple crumble.   I can promise you that no one over here is complaining.

Oatmeal Apple Muffins
Note:  I have been making this recipe for many years and can no longer remember where I got it from.  However, I do know that this version is quite heavily adapted from the original.
Yield: 22 Muffins

1 1/2 cup rolled oats             
1 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk 
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour 
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsps cinnamon
4 tbsp oil                          
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce 
1 large egg, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 cup diced apple (approximately 1 large)

  1. Line or grease muffin tins and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine oats and buttermilk, let stand for a minimum of 30 minutes.  I sometimes even let the mixture stand in the fridge overnight.
  3. Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  4. Beat egg and stir it into the oat and buttermilk mixture.  Stir in applesauce, oil, and sugar.
  5. Create a well in the dry ingredients.  Pour in the wet ingredients and mix with the dry ingredients just until combined.
  6. Spoon batter into the tins by scant 1/4 cup measures.
  7. Bake until golden brown and tester inserted into a muffin comes out dry.  Approximately 18-21 minutes.
Calories: Approximately 119 per muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment