Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TWD: Bagels



So, the day has finally come.  I have made my own bagels.  This is something I have contemplated doing for a very long time.  I first got the idea about five years ago when I was desperately missing my Montreal-style bagels.  I remember looking up a recipe, reading the instructions, and then deciding that the process looked too involved for my baking ability.  The thought has come up a few times since then as well, but I never quite managed to convince myself to take the plunge.  However, now that I have done it once, I think it might be time to look into the recipe for Montreal style bagels and actually give it a try. 

I thought these bagels turned out pretty well for a first try.  Were they as good as the ones I had in a deli in NYC three weeks ago?  Nope.  Not even close.  But, they were warm and fresh, they had a doughy interior and crisp exterior, and I was able to have them in Washington, DC.  So, all in all, I really couldn't have asked for anything more.

By the way, in case anyone is interested in eliminating the shortening from this recipe, I used canola oil instead and they still turned out wonderfully.

For the recipe, please click here.

10 comments:

  1. I was expecting NY bagels and this fell a bit short. Interesting that you used oil. Have a great day Juliaª

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that the oil worked just as well! I try not to use shortening much anymore, but I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I'll have to give that a try next time. Lovely bagels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - now that you've tackled these, Montreal style should be easy peasy :-)
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the texture of your bagels. I really want to know what a Montreal bagel tastes like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! Let us know how the Montreal ones turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to google Montreal bagel. Been reading a lot of references to these. Never heard of them before. Your bagels look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bagels look wonderful…I’ve never heard of Montreal bagels until this twd post! So many people are talking about them. Living outside of NYC all my life, the New York bagel, for me, is the pinnacle!! I thought these bagels were quite good and plan on making them again! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting the wood-fired oven for the Montreal bagels might be a challenge :) Great bagels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah!! You should totally try the Montreal style bagel! Do it! Do it! Woooo!!!! <--I've never actually tried a Montreal style bagel, but it sounds like they are tasty. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the oil tip, I've used butter but oil is definitely healthier.
    I love the rustic look of your bagels. yummy!

    ReplyDelete