Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Zucchini Quiche

 
I don't have a zucchini "problem" as it were.  I live right outside the downtown area of a major city and neither I nor anyone I know around here grows their own zucchini.  However, growing up, my grandmother's garden always provided us with many more zucchini than we could actually eat.  Each morning, she would go out to her garden and return with a new zucchini or two; they would inevitably end up piled on the counter next to the sink, waiting to be consumed.
Naturally, we ate a lot of zucchini.  Zucchini bread, zucchini fritatta, zucchini muffins, and stuffed zucchini made regular appearances in our home.  And then there were zucchini blossoms.  Even though I cannot remember the last time I was home for zucchini season, I still remember the wonderful smell of my grandmother frying up those flour-dredged flowers.  They were such a rare treat and I looked forward to them each summer.
 
So you see, for me zucchini season is filled with nostalgia and childhood memories.  Perhaps it is for that reason that I love zucchini.  On the other hand, maybe I love it because it is delicious.  Either way, when I see it at the farmer's market in August, I can't stop myself from buying it each week.  The result?  Much like those who grow their own, I find myself eating a bowl of zucchini salad or a slice of zucchini bread and wondering what I should do with the zucchini still sitting on my counter.   And you know what?  I'm quite okay with it.

Last week I decided to do something new and exciting.  I made zucchini quiche and I have to say that it was delicious.  There are fewer eggs in this recipe than in most quiche recipes and it doesn't call for any cream or milk, so expect the vegetables and cheese to be front and center.  I was a little skeptical when I first read the recipe, but my skepticism was for naught.   Together with a leafy green salad, this quiche made an excellent dinner and I was even able to stick a few leftover pieces into the freezer for later. 
 
 
Zucchini Quiche
Slightly adapted from tasteofhome.com
Yield: 6-8 slices
 
4 cups of zucchini, thinly sliced (I used 2 cups of green zucchini and 2 cups of yellow zucchini)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
1 pie crust (This is the recipe I use)
 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Roll out pie dough into a 9" deep dish pie pan and set aside (for a flaky crust, it is best to keep it cold and keep it in the fridge.
  3. Saute the vegetables in oil until cooked and then drain well to keep the quiche from being soggy. 
  4. In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Whisk in herbs, salt, and mustard.
  5. Stir in vegetables and cheese.
  6. Empty egg and vegetable mixture into the pie crust.
  7. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes.  At the 25 minute mark, cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from browning too much.
Calories:  331 per slice (if you cut it into 8 slices)

1 comment:

  1. This quiche looks fabulous and sounds so delicious!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete