Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake



It has been a while.  Okay, it has been more than a while; it has been three months--make that a very busy three months.  First my husband and I had all of our extended family come into town and then I got swamped with work and a certain someone became mobile, which of course only made it harder to get work done. 



However, I am now back and I have decided that I need to make a few changes to this blog.  While I do love to bake and I do love to eat what I bake, I do pay a lot of attention to what I eat and generally try to keep both sugar and fat on the lower end of the spectrum.  In order to keep myself accountable, I almost always calculate the nutrition information for each serving of my recipes and keep a rough mental note of how many of my calories each day come from good, wholesome, nutritious food and how of them are essentially empty calories.  In order to help other people do the same, I am going to start including the calorie count for every recipe. 

Now, does this mean that I am going to stop posting fattening and delicious treats?  Absolutely not.  I believe that anything can be enjoyed in moderation.  The nutrition information helps me with the moderation-end of things by making me consider everything that I put into my body.  Of course, I do adapt some recipes by reducing sugar, substituting whole grain flour, and reducing fat, but I will mention it when I do that.

The other major change I want to make is including more non-dessert items.  Personally, I am always scanning other sites for dinner ideas and so it is time to give back by sharing mine.

That said, today, what I have for you is yet another dessert item.  If you are a fan of combining lemon and blueberries, this cake is for you.  This recipe comes together in almost no time at all and it yields a luscious cake with a moist  light crumb and it is loaded with fresh blueberries.   I like it so much that I anxiously await berry season each year just so that I can make it, so I think you should make it too.

Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
Yield: 24 slices
Source:  Bon Appetit, December 1979 (via my mother-in-law)

5 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cups butter, cold and diced into about 20 cubes
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
4 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Juice of one lemon
3 cups of fresh blueberries

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease and flour a 10" bundt or other pans.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and lemon rind.
  4. Place mixture of dry ingredients in the bowl of your food processor and add the butter.  Pulse the blade until the mixture has a coarse texture such as when making a pie crust or biscuits.  You might have to do this stage in two batches as the volume of ingredients will be too large for most food processors. 
  5. In a small bowl, beat eggs and then stir in milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
  6. Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl.
  7. Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Stir just until they are combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
  8. Fold in the blueberries.
  9. Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 80-90 minutes; until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Place pan on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
  11. Remove cake from pan and place it directly on the rack to cool completely before cutting into the cake.
Calories:  222 per slice (24 slices per cake)

No comments:

Post a Comment