Monday, February 13, 2012

Simple Buttermilk Pancakes


A pancake post seemed rather appropriate with Mardi Gras (a.k.a. Fat Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday) just around the corner.  While some consider Mardi Gras a cause for celebration, all it ever meant for me growing up was that pancakes were served in school that morning and that, since I was attending a Catholic school, I was expected to tell the teacher what I was giving up for Lent.  Some years, tmy mother would even whip up a batch of pancakes for dinner that evening.
Today, whether it is Mardi Gras or a nothing more than a lazy Sunday morning I always make these pancakes.  These pancakes, which never fail me, are always light and fluffy with a hint of sweetness.
They are great with maple syrup and, in my opinion, better still when topped with vanilla yogurt, half a chopped kiwi and a few chopped strawberries.


Simple Buttermilk Pancakes
Yield: 4 servings

1 egg
1 1/4 cup buttermilk*
1/4 cup canola oil 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
butter for frying (approximately 1/2 tbsp)
*In a pinch I have used regular milk and a 1/2 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice and they have still turned out wonderfully.
  1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. Beat together wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
  3. Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it.  Stir the ingredients together until just combined. 
  4. Heat a frying pan over low-medium heat.  Melt buttter.
  5. Measure out a scant 1/4 cup of batter and pour it in the center of the frying pan.  When batter has bubbled, flip the pancake and cook the other side until it has browned.
  6. As I am working, I stack the finished pancakes in a covered pot to keep them warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment